Skip to main content

Why Laravel is the best framework there is!

 There is this meme on the technical world, which I am not sure you have heard, but if you are into technical memes, or programming memes, you would know that there are a bunch of programming languages that are laughing stock. Languages that's not "shiny" enough to be on the radar of the top notch programmers out there. Like JavaScript, PHP, HTML (even including this is in itself is a joke!) etc. Well I don't know if I could agree with it or not, but people who started learning web development from the ground up (just like me) might have started on these 3 probably. And PHP was the first and foremost language that you might have linked with a framework of sort. 

What are frameworks by the way? 

Well according to Wikipedia, framework is a generic term commonly referring to an essential supporting structure which other things are built on top of. And software framework is an abstraction in which software, providing generic functionality, can be selectively changed by additional user-written code, thus providing application-specific software.

Starting on in my career I come to know about multiple PHP frameworks at the time. Like symphony, Zende, Yii, Codeigniter and ofcourse Laravel. Later on in my career I had wonderful times with other language frameworks like expressjs, angular, react (even though it's a library), gin etc to name a few. And I know I am making a really controversial and bold statement when I say, I think Laravel is THE framework out there and still in love with.

Let me explain!

First of all, I have learned all about Laravel from their official documentation site and learning resource channel laracasts. I mean the documentation is just fantastic. I don't know why other frameworks or tools out there doesn't take inspiration from Laravel's beautifully crafted documentation. And the beautifully crafted laracasts playlists is just an added bonus. Explaining everything there is about Laravel. The documentation made my life so much easier when I started developing on Laravel.

The ecosystem. Laravel evolved a lot from the time I started with it. And you cannot complain a lot on the ecosystem it is built on. On the official site of laravel you could simply see all the other services and tooling that is linked with this beautiful framework. It's like AWS services listed for all things you need, but this time only for a framework.

The simplicity. It is so simple to start with Laravel even though you might think there are lot of components to it. You could start creating a website or an API just in no time once you know what are the different folders/modules do. There is no going back once you get a knack of that. There is a database directory, and you will know what it is for. A public folder yep you are right that's were all the public assets reside. Routes? Yep that's the starting point for your endpoints. It is in this simple details

It is not only this actually. You see how you can start a Laravel application for building a small app to consider it for an enterprise level project at a later point in time makes it a wonderful tool to have without worrying about whether that tool suits the job in hand. The framework is meticulously built that way so that the creator behind it know what you want.

There are many other points that I haven't considered for this, but see it for yourself at https://laravel.com

In my career I have worked with many frameworks and languages, but still got that soft corner to Laravel. If I see a codebase written in Laravel I get my pupil dilated, to see what's changed. It's like coming back to your home after a long period.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI. Will it replace us or...?

AI!! The buzzword is too hot in the market nowadays. Do you have a technical product or an idea? If it doesn't have AI in it, then chances are it's not going to be sold like hot cakes. That is how things have changed lately. It is no wonder why me and my colleagues at Gelato want to see what AI can do in a niche department like customer support and service. And that is exactly what we did. For a company like Gelato, which is in the market for production-on-demand, there are a lot of customer questions you need to answer. It can be related to products, queries about shipping and pricing, and so on and so forth. Thus, our customer support team is always happy to help with these recurring questions. Let's take one example. A customer asked us, "Do you ship to Norway?" Now that is an easy question to answer if you have the knowledge written somewhere where you could refer to it and say, "Yes! As a matter of fact, we do." Following the same thread, the next q

A smoooooth operation....

 Backward compatibility...   A word that I used to hear when I started my career. You design your APIs with backward compatibility in mind, don't break anything when you are upgrading, think about this, think about that etc. Well, those teachings from my previous mentors didn't go in vain, as I made a fundamental change in how we report problems @  Gelato .    You see recently @  Gelato , the CS (Customer Support) team moved from A ticketing management system to B ticketing management system, which is a monumental task for all the people involved in the CS team. Even though the fundamental concept remains the same the places, the attributes the concepts, and the naming of different attributes all change if you have this transition. And thus it was a big change for the whole company.    After the decision was taken, the first step was to create a well-written transition document, which the good folks at the CS team tackled. Special thanks to  Bartosz ,  Kyle  and  Anastasiia  fo

My experience with the Golden signals

In June 2022, I embarked on a quest for a new job opportunity. Fortunately, this endeavor began just before the global job market experienced a significant downturn. I must admit, I faced my fair share of rejections during this period, but I also had an epiphany. It became evident that there was so much more to learn and understand in the world of technology. Coming from a small service-based company, I had encountered limitations in terms of how much I could learn on the job. However, during interviews and conversations with senior developers, I gained valuable insights into the architectural and technical decisions made by teams in various companies. One such company that left a lasting impression on me was Delivery Hero. Their technical blog posts provided a wealth of information, especially for someone like me, transitioning from a smaller company where projects had minimal daily active users compared to the scale of Delivery Hero. One particular blog post that caught my attention